Skip to main content Skip to footer

Claiming a Stamp Duty Refund

Where individuals purchase a second property without disposing of their current main residence, they may become eligible for a refund of the higher rate paid in some circumstances. The most common circumstance arises when parties later dispose of their previous main residence.

The government will allow up to 3 years for the sale of the previous property to go through in which time the individuals can apply for a refund of the additional stamp duty paid. The refund must be claimed directly through HM Revenue and Customs. It is important to note that the refund must be claimed within 12 months of the sale completion.

For further assistance with conveyancing, please get in touch or request a quote


About the author

Gabrielle Eglintine

Gabrielle was promoted to Trainee Licenced Conveyancer in April 2022 and is now our Conveyancer at our Wingate Office where she deals with a wide variety of conveyancing transactions.

TMJ Legal Services

TMJ Legal Services has been helping individuals and businesses since 1986. We offer a range of advice and services. 

Lexcel logo
The Law Society Accredited Conveyancing Quality Logo
The Law Society Accredited Personal Injury Logo
Association Lifetime Lawyers
Contracted with the Legal Aid Agency Logo
disability confident employer logo