Skip to main content Skip to footer

Change of Name Deed

A change of name deed can be done for a variety of reasons, for example following marriage or divorce. You can change your name at any time using a change of name deed, which we can prepare for you for £110+VAT.

It is not exclusively for the changing of surnames; you can also change your forename and middle name so does not have to be linked to marriage or finalising divorce proceedings. As long as you are over 16 years old it is a relatively straightforward process.

If you are under 16 years old you will need to have the deed signed by anyone who has parental responsibility, i.e. anyone named on your birth certificate, or there has been a court order where parental responsibility has been granted. If both parents have parental responsibility, then both parents will need to sign the deed. If parental responsibility is shared with the Local Authority, then they will need to give consent also. 

If you require any assistance or advice in relation to a change of name deed, then please contact Erin Dobing on 01429 230 041 or email


About the author

Erin Dobing

Erin joined the firm in July 2022 as a trainee solicitor and is currently working on both private client and conveyancing matters.

TMJ Legal Services

TMJ Legal Services has been helping individuals and businesses since 1986. We offer a range of advice and services. 

Lexcel logo
The Law Society Accredited Conveyancing Quality Logo
The Law Society Accredited Personal Injury Logo
Association Lifetime Lawyers
Contracted with the Legal Aid Agency Logo
disability confident employer logo