Skip to main content Skip to footer

Court of Protection

Deputyship Application

A deputy is a person appointed by the Court of Protection to manage the affairs of someone who lacks the mental capacity to manage their own affairs.

A deputy is usually a friend or relative of the person who lacks capacity, but in some circumstances, could be a professional such as a solicitor or accountant.

There are two different types of deputyship.

  1. Property and Affairs Deputy- A Property and Affairs deputy is the most common form of deputyship. This type of deputy is appointed to manage a person’s financial affairs
  2. Personal Welfare Deputy- A Personal Welfare Deputy is rare

The Court of Protection does not usually appoint deputies to make continuing decisions about someone’s health and welfare unless regular treatment or supervision is needed. These decisions can usually be made in the person’s best interests by those providing care and/or treatment without the need for a Court Order.

How Do I Apply for a Deputyship Order?

To apply to become a deputy, you need to make an application to the Court of Protection.

TMJ Legal Services Court of Protection solicitors can make an application on your behalf. We deal with these applications regularly and, as we are familiar with the Court procedures, we can ensure that the application is progressed without difficulty and in a timely fashion.

Call one of our Court of Protection solicitors or arrange an initial interview.

TMJ Legal Services

TMJ Legal Services has been helping individuals and businesses since 1986. We offer a range of advice and services. 

Lexcel logo
The Law Society Accredited Conveyancing Quality Logo
The Law Society Accredited Personal Injury Logo
Association Lifetime Lawyers
Contracted with the Legal Aid Agency Logo
disability confident employer logo