Skip to main content Skip to footer


Slips, Trips and Falls

Local Authorities are responsible for the maintenance of highways and pavements which includes footpaths, roads, kerbstones and even street furniture such as railings and public seating.

The highway authority has a duty to ensure that these places are inspected on a regular basis and any dangerous defects are rectified in accordance with policies and procedures. If they fail to comply with their statutory duties and you suffer an injury as a result, you may be able to pursue a claim for compensation.

Steps to take following an accident on the public highway:

  • Obtain photographs preferably showing the measurements and location of the defect
  • Record accident location, date and time
  • Obtain details of any witnesses to the accident or confirm how long the defect has been present
  • Obtain details of any people who may have reported the defect before your accident occurred

If you have an accident in one of these public places you may be able to claim. You should seek specialist legal advice as soon as possible. We will need to establish the circumstances of the accident and then who was at fault and is liable. We will assess your accident and deal with it on a no-win no fee basis always ensuring that you receive the maximum compensation that is available for your injuries and other losses.  We have substantial experience in dealing with cases involving accidents on public highways and have a team of knowledgeable solicitors waiting to take your call. Please contact a member of our personal injury team.

To get in touch with us for advice please contact Lyn Ryan

TMJ Legal Services

TMJ Legal Services has been helping individuals and businesses since 1986. We offer a range of advice and services. 

Lexcel logo
The Law Society Accredited Conveyancing Quality Logo
The Law Society Accredited Personal Injury Logo
Association Lifetime Lawyers
Contracted with the Legal Aid Agency Logo
disability confident employer logo