Skip to main content Skip to footer


Accidents in Public Places

If you have been injured in a public place, you may be able to pursue a claim for compensation, if the accident was the fault of whoever is responsible for the area where the accident occurred. 

The responsible person/body is usually the owner or tenant of the public place. They have a responsibility in law to ensure that they have taken all reasonable steps to make the premises safe for visitors.

Examples of public places where accidents may occur are:

  • Supermarkets
  • Shops
  • Car-parks
  • Shopping Centres
  • Hospitals
  • Offices
  • Theatres
  • Cinemas
  • Restaurants and Pubs

If you have had an accident in a public place please ensure that the following steps are taken:

  • Report your accident to the owner or their employee
  • Ensure an accident report is completed
  • Write your own version of events and keep it in a safe place
  • Take detailed photographs of the accident scene
  • Obtain contact details of any witnesses
  • Find out if there is a CCTV of your accident

To get in touch with us for advice please contact: Lyn Ryan

TMJ Legal Services

TMJ Legal Services has been helping individuals and businesses since 1986. We offer a range of advice and services. 

Lexcel logo
The Law Society Accredited Conveyancing Quality Logo
The Law Society Accredited Personal Injury Logo
Association Lifetime Lawyers
Contracted with the Legal Aid Agency Logo
disability confident employer logo