Text Text


Local Authorities are responsible for the maintenance of highways and pavements which includes footpaths, roads, kerbstones and even street furniture such as railings and public seating. The highway authority has a duty to ensure that these places are inspected on a regular basis and any dangerous defects are rectified in accordance with policies and procedures. If they fail to comply with their statutory duties and you suffer an injury as a result you may be able to pursue a claim for compensation.

Steps to take following an accident on the public highway:

  • Obtain photographs preferably showing the measurements of the defect;
  • Record accident location, date and time;
  • Obtain details of any witnesses to the accident or to confirm how long the defect has been present for;
  • Obtain details of any people who may have reported the defect before your accident occurred.

If you have an accident in one of these public places you may be able to claim. You should seek specialist legal advice as soon as possible. We will need to establish the circumstances of the accident and then who was at fault and is liable. We will assess your accident and deal with it on a no win no fee basis always ensuring that you receive the maximum compensation that is available for your injuries and other losses.  We have substantial experience in dealing with cases involving accidents on public highways and have a team of knowledgeable solicitors waiting to take your call. Please contact a member of our personal injury team.

To get in touch with us regarding any of the areas below please contact: Lyn Ryan


View our accreditations