Sometimes following the breakdown of a relationship issues can arise over being able to spend regular time with your children/grandchildren, or wishing to change where they live. At TMJ we realise how important and difficult these problems can be, and will use our expertise to help you get the best outcome for your children/grandchildren.
In some cases we may just need to approach the other parent to clear up a misunderstanding. In others, we may refer you to a mediation service to talk things through face to face. Some cases will require an application to the court if agreement cannot be reached.
Legal Aid is available for some cases, but if you do not qualify for Legal Aid we offer our services on a fixed fee basis, so you only pay for the help you need:
Stage 1: £350 + VAT = £420, + mediation fee
- Up to 1 hour advice face to face or by telephone
- Letters to other party to negotiate
- Referral to a mediation service if no agreement
Stage 2: £300 + VAT = £360 + court fee + process server fee
- Up to 1 hour advice
- Prepare court application paperwork
- Issue application at court
- Serve application on other party
- Attend first court appointment with you
Stage 3: £150 + VAT = £180, +travel costs
- For each subsequent court hearing, except final hearing
Stage 4: £500 + VAT = £600, +barristers fee
- Prepare case and papers for final hearing, arrange a barrister to represent you at final hearing.
What’s included in the fees?
All costs associated with the work set out for each Stage. Throughout the process your solicitor will keep you fully informed of progress in your case.
Court fees in children cases
The Court will require you to pay their standard fee. This is currently £215, paid when the case is issued. In some cases, e.g. if you are on a low income, this fee can be reduced.
In some cases there can be complicated issues to be resolved and we do charge extra for this additional work, e.g. if the court order drug, alcohol or DNA tests, etc.